Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Eating in Kuala Lumpur's Chinatown

I'm Chinese, and grew up with a father who is an amazing cook, and I ate great homemade Chinese food all my life. Then I visited Kuala Lumpur's Chinatown, ate one dinner and said, "I've never eaten Chinese food in my life before till now."

I met up with a friend of a friend from Toronto, and his girlfriend, who was actually from Kuala Lumpur and lived there most of her life. She took us to an ordinary-looking restaurant in Chinatown with plastic cups, bowls and chopsticks. Then she ordered us one of the most delicious meals of my life.

In the bottom right-hand corner is marmite chicken; to the left is spicy fried pork, and up top is garlic-sauteed bok choy. All incredibly simply dishes that were so ridiculously flavourful. You get sweet and savoury, and saucy, and crunch, with garlic and veggies, and I love when food has so many layers.

I never knew Chinese food could have so many layers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can u plz give me directions to that place? St/ shop no/landmark?

Eleanor Hoh said...

Heather, I so agree that food doesn't have to have tons of spices, sauces to make it good. I wish I could convince people who come to my cooking classes asking for LOTS of different sauces that fresh ingredients doesn't need a LOT of 'cover up'.