Thursday, October 1, 2009

Sick on Meatless Monday, Week 6

I went to Montreal last weekend to visit my sister Martha. My eldest sister Marie came as well with her husband Georges and their son Raja, but they drove while I took the train. We basically spent the whole of Saturday eating. (What else is new, right?) But throughout Saturday, my slightly Friday-morning sore throat blew up to a full-scale hacking cough with runny nose and I felt absolutely horrible by night dessert time.

On Monday morning, back in Toronto, I woke up, got ready for work, and realized what a very foolish idea that was. I sent some work off, crawled back into bed and prayed that my body wouldn't feel like an anvil had smooshed me.

Lacking energy and taste buds (my mouth felt like sandpaper...), I made plain congee with... you guessed it... frozen peas! And ginger-honey tea, with real ginger and honey.

I felt better but my head still hurt and a 3-hour nap following didn't really cure it.

1 comment:

Danielle said...

Heather - You need to give me the recipe for congee. I've been constantly craving it here in Peru, and for a cuisine that is half-based on Chinese cooking, I am sorely disappointed that I have not found it anywhere. And trust me, I've asked. I miss Congee Wong:(