Monday, August 24, 2009

Meatless Mondays

I love meat. But I also love the earth.

Producing meat puts the earth under a lot of strain. And just like every other greedy human habit we've come to develop under industrialized times, no one is sure how much longer we can keep going like this.

Because the truth is, the earth will probably survive for many, many years after we've placed ourselves in the extinct species category.

So maybe I should refine my second statement: I love meat. But I'd like to enjoy it for many, many years to come.

To do my part, I'm going to participate in Meatless Mondays. Apparently, giving up meat for one day a week reduces your carbon footprint more than trading in your car for a hybrid. (And it's healthier for you.)

Today, so far, I've eaten two Montreal bagels, a banana, a granola bar and a few of PC's chocolate chunk soft-bake brownie cookies. My friend kindly pointed out I forgot to eat vegetables. But so far, so good.

I'll overdose on veggies tonight for dinner.

2 comments:

yasmin said...

i am excited to see what your meatless dinners are like. let me know if you want any suggestions--you know where to find some.

p.s. thank you for adding my blog to your blogroll!!

Heather Li said...

lol. I think my meatless meals are going to work out to whatever is in the fridge thrown together with whatever is in the pantry, transformed by whatever cooking method seems appropriate for the weather. (Because that's how my meatful meals work too.)